As connected-car features grow, so does the need for security. Automotive biometrics systems analyze physical characteristics (face, voice, fingerprints) to identify the driver prior to granting vehicle and/or information access.
- Iris-scan occupant authentication for custom security, comfort and convenience
- Mirror-borne camera and emitters; ideal location for system components
- System provides secure, customized vehicle operation and personalization
- Authorizes secure in-vehicle transactions and other V2I functionality
In 2021, Gentex acquired Guardian Optical Technologies, an Israeli startup that pioneered a unique, multi-modal sensor technology designed to provide a comprehensive suite of driver and cabin-monitoring solutions for the automotive industry.
Driver Monitoring Systems
Gentex's mirror-integrated, camera-based driver monitoring system (DMS) can monitor alertness, gaze location, behavior, and driver readiness for autopilot return of control.
- Driver distraction
- Driver drowsiness
- Return of manual vehicle control
Next-gen systems must not only monitor the driver, but also the passengers and the entire vehicle cabin. Gentex’s in-cabin monitoring system (ICMS) incorporates passenger activity by tracking:
- Occupant detection
- Passenger posture and behavior
- Objects left behind
- Restraint optimization
Gentex is experienced in sensing technology. Combining our smoke and chemical detection technologies offer complete, wholistic sensing applications for the automotive industry and other key markets.
Gentex’s in-vehicle smoke detector uses particulate sensing to detect smoke or vape. The module continuously samples active or passive airflow from the vehicle cabin.
- Detects smoke, vape, VOCs, explosives and other airborne contaminates
- Sensor located in vehicle’s HVAC ductwork or overhead unit
- Ideal for ride sharing and autonomous vehicles
- Keep passengers safe and fleet vehicles in operation
In 2020, Gentex acquired the Utah-based startup, Vaporsens – A nanofiber sensing technology is that is capable of detecting a wide variety of chemicals, from explosives to volatile organic compounds, with widespread application in a multitude of industries.
- Uses nanofiber sensors tuned to detect target chemicals
- Nanofibers “capture” targeted molecules from air sampling
- Allows for the survey of ambient air, headspace or gaseous samples
- Rapid response – within seconds
- High sensitivity